Sunday, October 26, 2008

We Not I

"Late at night, when deciding not to bother setting up the coffee machine for the next morning, I sometimes think of the man who will wake up as a different person, and wonder, What did he ever do for me? When I get up and there’s no coffee ready, I curse the lazy bastard who shirked his duties the night before."

This is a wondefully written, funny and idea-dense article from The Atlantic about "The Self". It's one of those rare articles that feels like a distillation of a 700 page non-fiction book. I've been thinking about this stuff for a long time- since reading Marvin Minsky's "The Society of Mind", Douglas Hofstaedter, and more recently Steven Pinker on "split brain" patients (those whose left and right hemispheres have been surgically disconnected).

http://themitchandnanshow.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/095-sybil.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whaddaya think?